Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold Remediation in North Prarie, WI
Technician using a ULV fogger to treat a basement with an anti-microbial disinfectant.
An improperly vented fan in a bathroom caused mold growth in a home in North Prairie, Wisconsin. A real estate professional recommended SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha to the home owner for a professional mitigation of the mold that was discovered. This realtor had used SERVPRO in the past and was very happy with the results.
This picture shows a technician using a ULV fogger to "mist" an anti-microbial disinfectant to treat the affected framing. By misting this anti-microbial, the smaller droplets penetrate into tiny cracks and crevices that may not be reached by other types of sprayers.
The photo was taken only minutes after all the surfaces were HEPA vacuumed to remove mold spores. HEPA vacuums are designed for mold remediation. Our customer was very happy with the results.
For all your mold remediation needs, please call our trained technicians at SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha. 262-542-0900
Containment and Negative Air Used On A Mold Job
Negative air setup in containment to prevent cross contamination of mold spores in the air.
When scoping a mold job, SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha may use containment to prevent any cross contamination of mold spores released into the air during mitigation. This is a barrier to protect unaffected areas of a structure. Negative air is also setup to create a negative air pressure in the contained area. This ensures that the mold spores are contained in the work area and filtered through an industrial grade HEPA filter.
In the photo, there is a plastic barrier that has been setup to protect the contents in the rest of the room from the mold spores that may be in the air in the affected area. The negative air scrubber is setup through the barrier to create the negative pressure and filters the air before it circulates. This ensures safe mitigation of mold growth while on a job site.
Call SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha for any questions regarding mold mitigation and schedule a scope today! 262-542-0900
Mold Discovered Under Hardwood Floor After Water Leak
Growth discovered under wood floor after a water supply line leaked from a fridge.
SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha was called out after a water supply line to a fridge was found to be leaking. The homeowner had noticed that the wood floor near the fridge was cupping. This means that the floor was no longer flat, there was lifting on the edges of the individual boards. A sure sign that there is moisture underneath the boards.
Using a moisture meter, saturation could be detected on the suspected wood floor. With the homeowner's approval a small section of the floor is removed to confirm there is moisture. In this case, moisture was present under the wood floor for an unknown amount of time and growth was discovered. When this happens, it is best if the affected wood flooring is removed and the area is treated with an antimicrobial after cleanup. This can be a way in some cases to properly remove safety concerns regarding growth after a wood floor has been affected by a water loss.
Call SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha with any questions regarding water damage, mitigation, and restoration at 262-542-0900.
Improving Wellness at Home
Enjoy your time and space at home.
The team at SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha often receive phone calls from home owners or real estate agents to help improve a structure before putting it on the market. In many of those instances we are called to help remove mold from a home. However, there are things that you can do in your home to improve your personal wellness while also preventing mold growth.
Four ways to improve your quality of life in your home:
1. Create a calming space. Come up with a private sanctuary that’s free of distractions, like clutter and electronic devices. Dedicate time to this space so you can calm your mind, gain a fresh perspective and reflect on your day.
2. Let in the natural light. The sun’s light can elevate your mood and promote alertness. Take advantage of daylight by arranging work spaces near windows, using light-filtering curtains or strategically hanging mirrors to reflect more light. Natural light can re-center your sleep cycle and promote vitamin D production.
3. Add more plants. Being close to nature can improve your overall well-being. Plants add color to your home, purify the air and may even reduce stress. Bring the outside in by adding plants to every room in your home, especially the spaces where you spend the most time.
4. Promote air circulation. Proper air circulation provides a regular temperature, removes impurities, and can help prevent mold. Use ceiling fans, open the windows, and install attic vents. The more space there is in a room, the more air can circulate.
Call the restoration professionals at SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha with all your mold remediation needs! (262)542-0900
What is Black Mold?
Many people often don’t know what black mold actually is, so often it is surrounded by a cloud of confusion. Stachybotrys chartarum is the scientific name for the mold commonly referred to as black mold. Like many other types of molds, black mold produces allergens and irritants.
Since most types of molds produce irritants, remediation is necessary regardless of its type or color. It is common for multiple types of mold to be present in the same structure.
If you suspect mold in your home, contact SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha County. Treat any mold with caution, don’t touch or disturb the mold, and stay out of any affected areas.
Mold spores thrive on moisture. To prevent the growth of mold in your home, keep humidity levels below 45 percent. Even higher-than-normal humidity can encourage mold growth.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (262) 542-0900
Do You Have Mold?
Call SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha County today if you experience any of these signs.
Although some signs may seems obvious, many homeowners disregard the signs until their mold problem has grown out of control. Remember, if you are experiencing any of these signs, do not disturb the mold. If the mold is disturbed, it can shoot off microscopic pores, causing the mold to spread through your entire home.
- Allergic reactions that tend to get worse at home could be a sign of mold. Common reactions are sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion and sore eyes.
- Another warning of mold growing in your home is a musty, moldy smell. Keep in mind that mold isn’t always visible. If you can’t smell it, that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
- Water leaks or past moisture/flooding without proper restoration could mean mold is growing. Check areas with moisture for any signs of mold.
- Seeing mold, while obvious, is often overlooked. People will see small patches and mistake it for dirt. Mold can spread quickly so catching it early will help save money.
Don’t put off your mold problems. Mold growing in your home can be dangerous for your health and the health of your family. Check out our webpage on mold remediation or call SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha County today at (262) 542-0900 to help solve your mold problems.
Does Your Home Have a Mold Problem?
In Waukesha County, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (262) 542-0900