We Wish you a Safe and Happy Holiday Season
During the Holiday Season, candles are so festive, smell wonderful and will enhance the décor of your Holiday event. However, you must be very careful when using candles. As you can imagine, December is the peak time of year for home candle fires. On average, 11% of home candle fires begin with, yep you guessed it, holiday decorations.
From 2012-2016, U.S. fire departments responded to around 9,100 house fires started by candles alone. These fires caused an annual rate of 80 deaths, 770 injuries and $264 million in direct property damage.
Candle Fires Statistics: 2012-2016
· Candles caused 3% of reported home fires, 3% of home fire deaths, 7% of home fire injuries, and 5% of the direct property damage in home fires.
· Roughly one-third of these fires started in bedrooms.
· Falling asleep was a factor in 11% percent of the home candle fires and 30% of the associated deaths.
· More than half of home candle fires occurred when some form of combustible material was left or came too close to the candle.
Candle Safety Tips
· Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
· Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
· Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage.
· Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
· Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
AND.. most importantly......
· Keep out of reach of any small children.
SERVPRO of Southwest Waukesha would like to give our warm Holiday Greetings to all and wish everyone a safe and merry season!
If you find yourself in a fire situation first call 911, and when you are ready call SERVPRO Southwest Waukesha (262) 542-0900 to handle the rest!