Stay Safe in Thunderstorms
Thunderstorms, also known as electrical storms or lightning storms, are common in the Midwest. If you find yourself caught in the middle of a storm, here are some tips to stay safe while you weather the storm:
- When thunder roars, go indoors! If you're outside when you hear thunder, try to get inside, in a car, or if nothing else, find shelter nearby.
- Pay attention to alerts and warnings.
- Avoid using electronic devices and appliances connected to an electrical outlet due to the possibility of electrical surges.
- Avoid running water.
- Do not drive through flooded roadways. Just six inches of fast-moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Pay attention to authorities and weather forecasts for information on whether it is safe to go outside and instructions regarding potential flash flooding.
- After the storm, be on the lookout for fallen power lines and trees and report them to authorities immediately.