Spring Thunderstorms and How to Prepare
Spring can bring lots of rainy weather and thunderstorms. Here are our top tips on how to prevent water damage and ensure your safety.
To keep your property safe:
- Keep up with your home maintenance- replace missing shingles and loose siding to prevent water from leaking in and damaging your home.
- Check your sump pump- make sure it is in working order to prevent basement flooding.
- Check for loose fence posts- anything that's not secured can be blown into your house by the wind and cause damage.
- Trim your trees- make sure dead branches are removed to prevent them falling on your home or car.
- If bad thunderstorms are in the forecast, have a generator on hand for the event of a possible power outage and prepare and emergency kit with flashlights, batteries and a first aid kit.
To keep you safe:
- Check the forecast- be aware if a bad thunderstorm is predicted for your area.
- When thunder roars, go indoors- try to get out of the storm and find shelter inside in the event of a thunderstorm.
- Stay dry- do not shwer, wash dishes or run water during a thunderstorm and avoid bodies of water.